Monday, May 11, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!

What a great weekend! Beautiful weather, good racing, great friends, and a wonderful Mother's Day.

Well, the racing didn't start out all that well, but it improved by the end of the weekend. On Friday Nick had a really bad crash during practice that fortunately I didn't see. Apparently he most have caught some air on a jump and ended up landing face first on the ground. He got a mouth full of dirt, cracked his helmet visor in multiple places and the mouthguard of his helmet. Plus he got a bloody mouth and bloody gums around his front teeth. Not to worry, he's fine now but biting down was a little difficult for a couple of days. He also banged his knee up a bit and he complained his ribs were sore, but no permanent damage was done. We took Saturday off from racing and went out to the track on Sunday for Mother's Day. He ended up placing 2nd which was great. Gabi qualified for her main event - had a class of 5 riders. She ended up 4th, just out of the trophies.

Saturday we had a chance to use our firepit we got for Christmas for the first time. We invited some of our BMX friends over for dinner Saturday night and set the firepit up in the backyard to roast marshmallows after dinner. That was a lot of fun. I can see a lot more lazy summer nights hanging out around the fire pit in our near future. It's so nice to have a completed backyard we can actually use and enjoy!

Mother's Day was a great day for me too. Gabi made breakfast for me. She cooked link sausages and made Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls. She did an excellent job and I think I'm going to put her in charge of breakfast a little more often now! She wants to make muffins next weekend. More power to her! The boys were going to BBQ hamburgers for me for dinner, but we ended up going to the Wood Stone Steakhouse in Oregon City instead. It was a delicious dinner, and I got a rose from the restaurant too! My Mother's Day present was awesome too! I got a smoker! I have been wanting one since we had the amazing smoked ribs we are lucky enough to enjoy when we go camping with our friends Larry & Peggy. Their son Brandon makes the best ribs in their smoker! And since my last attempt at BBQ'ing ribs didn't go so well, apparently my family decided a smoker was a good idea! Can't wait to get it all set up and start using it. We have some Turkey breast I think I will try first. Now I need to find a good smoker recipe book! I see our summers filled with lots of friends, smoked meats and s'mores. Can't wait for summer!

0 comments: